Friends of St. Mary's Island

History Menu

History of St. Mary's Island and Lighthouse

For such a tiny place the tidal island of St. Mary’s has a colourful and often violent history.

There has been a light on St. Mary's Island since mediaeval times. The present lighthouse was opened in 1898 to replace the old lighthouse on Tynemouth Point, the last of many which had stood there for over 400 years.

The lighthouse beamed it's warning light for 86 years until taken out of service by Trinity House in 1984, when it was bought on behalf of the local community by North Tyneside Council with generous help from the Countryside commission and the R.W. Mann Trust.

Our history section is divided into two parts; the first covers the history of the island before the lighthouse and the second covers the islands' history since the lighthouse was built.

Select from the options below or from the menu on the right.

Island History link Lighthouse history link  
Island History Lighthouse History  
All content © 2012 The Friends of St. Mary's Island